ǪrvOdd Ævdr 70VIII (Ǫrv 140)
Margaret Clunies Ross (ed.) 2017, ‘Ǫrvar-Odds saga 140 (Ǫrvar-Oddr, Ævidrápa 70)’ in Margaret Clunies Ross (ed.), Poetry in fornaldarsögur. Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages 8. Turnhout: Brepols, p. 946.
Sat ek at sælu síðan minni
vilgi lengi, sem ek vita þóttumz.
Fjölð er at segja frá förum mínum
snotrum seggjum; sjá mun in efsta.
Ek sat síðan vilgi lengi at sælu minni, sem ek þóttumz vita. Fjölð er at segja snotrum seggjum frá förum mínum; sjá mun in efsta.
I remained afterwards in my good fortune for a very long time, as I seemed to know. There is a great deal to tell wise men about my journeys; this one will be the last.
Mss: 343a(81v), 7(57r) (ll. 5-8), 471(96r), 173ˣ(65rb) (Ǫrv)
Readings:  at: om. 173ˣ  lengi: lengr 173ˣ  sem: enn 173ˣ; þóttumz: so 471, 173ˣ, ‘þottunnzt’ 343a  Fjölð: so all others, fjölði 343a  seggjum: drengjum 173ˣ
Editions: Skj AII, 319, Skj BII, 338, Skald II, 182; Ǫrv 1888, 195, 208, Ǫrv 1892, 95, 100, FSGJ 2, 361-2; Edd. Min. 58.
Notes: [All]: Ǫrv 140 ll. 5-8 and Ǫrv 141 are found in 7 shortly before the end of the saga, just after Oddr has ordered one group of his men to prepare him a tomb and the other to listen and remember the poem (kvæði) that he is about to compose as his end draws near. Ǫrv 140 is introduced in 7 with the words Þessa vísu kvað Oddr síðast ‘Oddr spoke this stanza last’. There is no break between what is presented here as l. 8 of Ǫrv 140 and l. 1 of Ǫrv 141, which suggests that in 7’s version they should be considered as comprising one long stanza of twelve lines. In the younger mss this stanza is the second-to-last of the continuous Ævdr.
- Skald = Kock, Ernst Albin, ed. 1946-50. Den norsk-isländska skaldediktningen. 2 vols. Lund: Gleerup.
- FSGJ = Guðni Jónsson, ed. 1954. Fornaldar sögur norðurlanda. 4 vols. [Reykjavík]: Íslendingasagnaútgáfan.
- Edd. Min. = Heusler, Andreas and Wilhelm Ranisch, eds. 1903. Eddica Minora: Dichtungen eddischer Art aus den Fornaldarsögur und anderen Prosawerken. Dortmund: Ruhfus. Rpt. Darmstadt: Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft.
- Ǫrv 1888 = Boer, R. C., ed. 1888. Ǫrvar-Odds saga. Leiden: Brill.
- Ǫrv 1892 = Boer, R. C., ed. 1892a. Ǫrvar-Odds saga. Altnordische Saga-Bibliothek 2. Halle: Niemayer.
- Internal references
- Not published: do not cite (ǪrvOdd ÆvdrVIII (Ǫrv))
- Margaret Clunies Ross (ed.) 2017, ‘Ǫrvar-Odds saga 140 (Ǫrvar-Oddr, Ævidrápa 70)’ in Margaret Clunies Ross (ed.), Poetry in fornaldarsögur. Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages 8. Turnhout: Brepols, p. 946.
- Margaret Clunies Ross (ed.) 2017, ‘Ǫrvar-Odds saga 141 (Ǫrvar-Oddr, Ævidrápa 71)’ in Margaret Clunies Ross (ed.), Poetry in fornaldarsögur. Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages 8. Turnhout: Brepols, p. 947.
Use the buttons at the top of the page to navigate between stanzas in a poem.
- text: if the stanza has been published, the edited text of the stanza and translation are here; if it hasn't been published an old edition (usually Skj) is given for reference
- sources: a list of the manuscripts or inscriptions containing this stanza, with page and line references and links (eye button) to images where available, and transcription where available
- readings: a list of variant manuscript readings of words in the main text
- editions and texts: a list of editions of the stanza with links to the bibliography; and a list of prose works in which the stanza occurs, allowing you to navigate within the prose context
- notes and context: notes not linked to individual words are given here, along with the account of the prose context for the stanza, where relevant
The text and translation are given here, with buttons to toggle whether the text is shown in the verse order or prose word order. Clicking on indiviudal words gives dictionary links, variant readings, kennings and notes, where relevant.
Full text tab
This is the text of the edition in a similar format to how the edition appears in the printed volumes.
This view is also used for chapters and other text segments. Not all the headings shown are relevant to such sections.