Hákonardrápa — Giz HákdrIIGizurr Þorvaldsson
Kari Ellen Gade 2009, ‘(Introduction to) Gizurr Þorvaldsson, Hákonardrápa’ in Kari Ellen Gade (ed.), Poetry from the Kings’ Sagas 2: From c. 1035 to c. 1300. Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages 2. Turnhout: Brepols, pp. 673-4.
about Hákon’ (Giz Hákdr
)) is all that remains of Gizurr Þorvaldsson
’s poetry about the Norw. king Hákon Hákonarson. It is found in mss E, F, G, 81a, 8 and Flat of Hák
and attributed to Gizurr, but no ms. mentions that it belonged to a drápa
about Hákon. Finnur Jónsson calls it Kvæði um Hákon konung Hákonarson
‘Poem about King Hákon Hákonarson’ (SnE 1848-87
, III, 680
) or En drape om Hakon d. gamle
about Hákon the Old’ (Skj
), and Kock supplies the caption Om Håkan den gamle
‘About Hákon the Old’ (Skald
). Gizurr is said to have been with the king in Denmark when the event described in the half-st. took place, and the poem to which it belonged must have been composed 1257-8, because Gizurr returned to Iceland in 1258 (see Storm 1888
, 27, 66, 133) and remained there for the rest of his life. For Gizurr’s biography and his two lvv
. (Giz Lv 1
), see SkP IV
- SnE 1848-87 = Snorri Sturluson. 1848-87. Edda Snorra Sturlusonar: Edda Snorronis Sturlaei. Ed. Jón Sigurðsson et al. 3 vols. Copenhagen: Legatum Arnamagnaeanum. Rpt. Osnabrück: Zeller, 1966.
- Skald = Kock, Ernst Albin, ed. 1946-50. Den norsk-isländska skaldediktningen. 2 vols. Lund: Gleerup.
- Storm, Gustav, ed. 1888. Islandske annaler indtil 1578. Christiania (Oslo): Det norske historiske kildeskriftfond. Rpt. 1977. Oslo: Norsk-historisk kjeldeskrift-institutt.
- SkP IV = Poetry on Icelandic History. Ed. Guðrún Nordal. Forthcoming.
- Internal references
- Kari Ellen Gade 2009, ‘Hákonar saga Hákonarsonar (Hák)’ in Kari Ellen Gade (ed.), Poetry from the Kings’ Sagas 2: From c. 1035 to c. 1300. Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages 2. Turnhout: Brepols [check printed volume for citation].
- Not published: do not cite (GizIV)
- Not published: do not cite (Giz Lv 1IV)
Information about a text: poem, sequence of stanzas, or prose work
This page is used for different resources. For groups of stanzas such as poems, you will see the verse text and, where published, the translation of each stanza. These are also links to information about the individual stanzas.
For prose works you will see a list of the stanzas and fragments in that prose work, where relevant, providing links to the individual stanzas.
Where you have access to introduction(s) to the poem or prose work in the database, these will appear in the ‘introduction’ section.
The final section, ‘sources’ is a list of the manuscripts that contain the prose work, as well as manuscripts and prose works linked to stanzas and sections of a text.