Bláinn: Cf. the adj. blár ‘black’; hence lit. ‘dark, black one’ (Motz 1973, 113). As the name of a dwarf, Bláinn is mentioned only here. According to Vsp 9/8 (NK 2) and Gylf (SnE 2005, 16), the dwarfs were made from Bláinn’s ‘limbs’ (leggiom), i.e. from stone.
- NK = Neckel, Gustav and Hans Kuhn (1899), eds. 1983. Edda: Die Lieder des Codex Regius nebst verwandten Denkmälern. 2 vols. I: Text. 5th edn. Heidelberg: Winter.
- SnE 2005 = Snorri Sturluson. 2005. Edda: Prologue and Gylfaginning. Ed. Anthony Faulkes. 2nd edn. University College London: Viking Society for Northern Research.
- Motz, Lotte. 1973. ‘New Thoughts on Dwarf-Names in Old Icelandic’. FS 7, 100-17.
- Internal references
- Not published: do not cite (GylfIII)
- Not published: do not cite ()